My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Weymouth Female Anti-Slavery Society

I went back to reading the article in Family Tree magazine on the top 101 websites, and decided to try out genealogybank.com this time. I did not have much hope in finding much, as I have searched newspaper archives in the past and have not found any interesting information.

Since I have been working on my tree for some years now, I knew which family would probably make the news back then. The Cowings. According to the 1870 census, my 5th great grandfather, Balch Cowing, had a personal estate valuing much more than his neighbors. He also married Cynthia Bates, the sister of Joshua Bates, first benefactor of the Boston Public Library. (Side note: I also found an interesting association to the above mentioned Joshua Bates from Wikipedia - his great granddaughter is supposedly Sylvia Brett, the last Rani of Sarawak - apparently a very dramatic woman.)

Getting back to genealogybank, I did a general search on the Cowing last name in any newspapers in Massachusetts with the keyword of Weymouth. It turns out that many articles came up, mostly on Balch's children. One was about the 90th birthday party of his son Francis H. Cowing. Most of the articles were on the following children who belonged to anti-slavery societies in Weymouth: Henry, Lucretia, Sarah and Susan; acting as either treasurers or secretaries to the societies in the 1830s through the 1850s. One of the more interesting articles in the newspaper (April 23d, 1844 (Letters) Date: 1844-05-10; Paper: The Liberator) was a letter written by Anne Weston and Cowing (probably Sarah) of the Anti Slavery Society to Mr. Perkins, their minister, asking why they would not permit a Mr. Quincy to lecture at the meeting house on anti-slavery. In response to their letter, it seems Mr. Perkins and the assessors of the meeting house give the following reason, "we refuse the use of the house, not because we wish to close the ears of a whole parish to the cries of outraged humanity, but because we object to the sentiments of the individual whom you wish to give the lecture." The response goes on to say the Mr. Quincy attacks Christianity, the Sabbath, the government, etc.

I can only imagine the courage it took for these women to stand up to their minister and question a decision that he made. I can picture them sitting at a table for hours laboring over every word before they published the letter. The meetings and discussions they had over these issues must have been most interesting. It is also interesting to note that Lucretia, Susan and Sarah never married, unusual for that time period. Perhaps they were so dedicated to the anti-slavery cause that there was no time for marriage.

I am not sure who Mr. Quincy is in this letter, but he certainly has peaked my interest.

Here is a small excerpt that mentions Maria (Cowing) Willey, from The New England Magazine. Boston: [New England Magazine Co, 1887. Vol. 34.





To Do:
1. Find out more about Mr. Quincy - I think they are referring to Edmund Quincy after preliminary research. He seems to be in association with William Lloyd Garrison - publisher of The Liberator. Also, Maria Weston Chapman and her sisters referred to in blog entry are friends with William Lloyd Garrison. This group was somewhat controversial, not all abolitionists agreed with them. The Weston sisters were known to attend different churches to get a sense of the church's views on slavery. Maria stopped attending the Federal Street Church in Boston as she did not agree with the minister's sermons and views.
2. Find the members of the Boston Female Anti-Slavery Society - formed in 1834 by the Weston sisters, were any of the Cowings members?
3. Search on genealogybank.com for Bates family.

Links On Topic
1. Annual Reports of the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society from Internet Archive.

No comments: