My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Torrey Family

The line I first started working on way back when are the Torreys from Weymouth, MA. This family, among many others, is documented in History of Weymouth, Massachusetts... by George Walter Chamberlain. This book is very helpful with much information and documentation; however, I like to start researching on my own before I look to this book for guidance.

I have documented back to Deacon Samuel Torrey (my 5th Great Grandfather), born around 1760 according to his gravestone in Highland Cemetery, South Weymouth, MA. He died December 22, 1819, in his 59th year. I also know that Samuel was born in Weymouth, according to his son Joseph's death record. Knowing that Samuel Torrey was born around 1760 in Weymouth, I searched in the Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 database on the NEHGS website. There was a Samuel Torrey born to a David and Elizabeth Torrey on February 13, 1761 in Weymouth. This date and place matches well to the approximate birth date on Samuel's gravestone. Also, out of Samuel's eight children with his wife Dolly Blanchard, they named a son David and a daughter Elizabeth (perhaps after Samuel's parents). Although this evidence is not conclusive, it is a start in the right direction.

Next I head to Chamberlain's book to see who he has written as Samuel's parents. According to him, David and Elizabeth are Samuel's parents. Chamberlain states that the probate record of David Torrey mentions a son Samuel (norfolk probate 18581). We do already know from the vital records that David and Elizabeth have a son Samuel, so it is not surprising there is a Samuel mentioned in David's will. The question is though, is this Samuel the one we are looking for. If David's will mentions a Deacon Samuel we would have more proof of his parentage.

Next, I looked at the 1790 census (David's will written in 1792) and found that there was only one Samuel Torrey living in Weymouth at that time. Therefore, if David's will mentions Samuel, living in Weymouth, it would be strong evidence that indeed David is Samuel's father, as Chamberlain states in his book. The number of children from the 1790 census also match our Samuel, as having 2 boys under the age of 16 (which would be Samuel and Noah) and two females living with Samuel. The two females would be his wife, and his daughter, Elizabeth. Also on the census, there is a parenthetical mark linking David and Samuel - perhaps which means they were living on the same land.

UPDATE: Familysearch.org now has the Norfolk County Probates online.  David Torrey's will does mention his late wife Elizabeth and four sons, Samuel, David, Jacob and Reuben.  It also mentions a 4th son, Noah, who is lost at sea and presumed dead.  The will also mentions his daughter Margaret Joy.  I am confident that this is the father of Samuel Torrey in my direct line.

To Do:
1. Obtain David's probate record - Norfolk 18581- UPDATE - now online.
2. Search for land records for David and Samuel. Once I find record numbers, files are online at Norfolk County Registry of Deeds.

No comments: