My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Antonio Pompeo

I decided again to try to look further into Antonio's naturalization. First I looked more closely at the information I do have for Antonio, specifically the census records and his WWI registration for the draft. In his 1918 draft record, he states he is a non-declarant alien. Looking into this, it seems this means he has not made the declaration of intent on becoming a US citizen, which also seems to mean that he could not be drafted in WWI. So I know in 1918, there should not be any naturalization records for Antonio. I then looked again at the 1920 census. It does seem to state under naturalization - pa: which I have found to mean he has started the paper process of becoming naturalized, which means there should be records for him before January 1, 1920 (date census enumerators went by for their questions). I decided now to go back to footnote to see if I could find his records in 1919. I browsed the documents and searched using name variations, but still no luck. I am not sure where to go from here in locating these records, but I will keep trying. I also noted in the 1930 census his wife Angelina (Antonio is deceased) is listed as being naturalized. Either she was automatically naturalized because her husband eventually became a citizen or she went through the process herself. So I have some more searching to do.

To Do
1. Find out if footnote database is complete for naturalization records for MA (as of 4.1.2008 - it was 99% complete)
2. Order microfilm from FHL - Norfolk County naturalization records if footnote's database is not complete.

No comments: