My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

magarida isabel

Margarida Isabel (Izabel) is my husband's third great grandmother.  She was born January 13, 1816 in Matriz, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel, Açores, and baptized at Nossa Senhora da Estrella in this parish.  Her marriage record from the last post included a surname of Viera.  I am not sure if I am reading it correctly or it should be Pereira, as that is her father's surname.  I have seen her name also include the surname Pereira in at least four of her grandchildren's baptismal records, so it could just be an error.  It could also be that Viera is another name that comes from generations past.  Her birth record brings this line back one more generation with the names of her grandparents, but none have the surname Viera.   

baptismal record of Margarida Isabel
Nossa Senhora da Estrella, Matriz, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel

I am getting a little better at reading these documents.  I already knew her father's name was Vincente Pereira and her mother was Anna Jacinta, but this document also provides the names of the parishes where they were from.  Her father Vincente was from Conceição, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel, Açores, and her mother Anna was from Rabo de Peixe, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel, Açores.  The Conceição parish registers go back to 1699 on the CCA website, and Rabo de Peixe goes back to 1577.  Neither church register has an index online though, so I will have to browse through many years to find Magarida's parents' baptisms. 

Margarida's paternal grandparents are listed on her baptismal record as Manuel Pereira and Magdalena Roza.  Margarida's maternal grandparents were much more difficult to read on this document.  After studying the document for a while, I believe the grandfather is listed as "incognito", and the grandmother is Francisca Tynalia or Jynalia.  Incognito could mean that the name was not known or was just not recorded, maybe other records would list his name, such as siblings of Margarida.



So now we have three names (3 out of 16) of Aldina's 2nd great grandparents (this makes the total for my husband's known 5th great grandparents 19 out of 128).  My next document to find will be Margarida's husband, Antonnio Jacintho de Amaral's, baptismal record.  Perhaps we will find four more of Aldina's 2nd great grandparents.

No comments: