My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

bento soares and josefa do amaral

Bento Soares and Josefa do Amaral are my husband's 4th great grandparents.  They were married on November 5, 1804 at the church of Nossa Senhora da Anunciação, in Achada, Nordeste, São Miguel, Açores. 

marriage record of bento soares and josefa do amaral
church of Nossa Senhora da Anunciação, in Achada, Nordeste, São Miguel

Their marriage record lists their parents' names, which I already had; but it also gives the baptismal dates of the bride and groom.  They were both baptized in the same church in Achada; Bentos in 1782 and Josefa in 1784.  Their baptismal records are below.

baptismal record of Bento Soares
church of Nossa Senhora da Anunciação, in Achada, Nordeste, São Miguel

I love that the handwriting of this priest is so easy to read.  The only new information I have from Bento's baptismal record is his date of birth, May 1, 1782; and the churches his parents were baptized in.  Both parents, Antonio and Maria, were baptized in the same church as their son, Nossa Senhora da Anunciação, in Achada.  I also noted that his father Antonio's name only includes the surname Soares, and not Soares Robello; which was listed in Antonio's grandson's baptismal record.  The Robello surname was also not mentioned in Bento's marriage record. 

baptismal record of Josefa do Amaral
church of Nossa Senhora da Anunciação, in Achada, Nordeste, São Miguel

Josefa's baptismal record shows her date of birth as February 13, 1784.  Josefa's mother, Antonia, was also baptized in the church in Achada, but her name is listed a little differently.  On Josefa's marriage record and on the grandson Antonio's baptismal record, Antonia has the surname of Amaral.  On Josefa's baptismal record, her mother is listed as Antonia de Jesus.  As I have seen before, this could be a name that has come from another generation.  Josefa's baptismal record also shows that her father Jose was baptized in the church of Nossa Senhora dos Neves in Relva, Ponta Delgada, São Miguel, Açores.  Now I have a place to start to find Josefa's parents' marriage and baptismal records.

No comments: