My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Monday, April 13, 2015

ancestry of josefa do amaral

My last post left off with Bentos and Josefa's parents' names and location of baptisms.  I am focusing this post on Josefa do Amaral's parents, Antonia de Jesus de Amaral and Jose da Silva, my husband's 5th great grandparents.


I did not get that far with Josefa's mother, Antonia de Jesus de Amaral's line, because Antonia's parents are listed as Maria Amaral and father "incognito" or unknown (from Antonia's marriage and baptismal records).  Without a father's name, it is too difficult to trace back her mother, especially with a common name as Maria Amaral.  I need another name attached to Maria to identify her in the records, which I do not have.  Maria could have married at some point, but without her parent's names, it would be nearly impossible to identify her.

I had much more success with Josefa's father, Jose da Silva, who was baptized in Relva, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel.  I was able to take Jose da Silva's maternal line back four more generations with the records in Relva, Ponta Delgada; and his paternal line back three more generations with the records in São Sebastião, Ponta Delgada.  These would be my husband's 9th great grandparents and his 8th great grandparents.  So exciting that these records are available online.




As you can see from the pedigree chart above, at some point Jose da Silva left Relva, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, for Achada, Sao Miguel; where he married his wife, Antonia de Jesus de Amaral.  Below is a google map of Relva (A) and Achada (B), 32 miles apart by car on opposite ends of the island of Sao Miguel, Azores.  The family only stayed at Achada for about two generations, when my husband's second great grandfather, Antonio do Amaral Pereira, was baptized in Ribeira Grande (C) on the island.  Ribeira Grande is where his immigrant ancestor, Aldina Pereira Francisco, was baptized.



Jose's mother, Antonia, was baptized at the same church in Relva, the church of Nossa Senhora dos Neves.  Jose's parents were also married here.  Jose's maternal grandmother's ancestry seems to be from Relva, where I was able to find records going four geneartions back.

Church at Relva, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel; Nossa Senhora dos Neves
from igreha acores website

Jose's father, Manoel, and paternal grandmother, Ursula, were from another part of Ponta Delgada, as they was baptized at São Sebastião, the central part of Ponta Delgada.  Jose's maternal grandfather, Antonio, was from a more northern part of Ponta Delgada, Fenais da Luz; and Jose's paternal grandfather was from Sao Matheos, Ponta Delgada, according to the records.

The records online end in the late 1600's for most parishes, so I am not able to go further back than the names I found above.  Maybe there are some published genealogies for the island that can lead me further back.  It would be great to find out when my husband's ancestors arrived on the island of Sao Miguel, and if they were some of the early settlers there.

No comments: