My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

pompeo updates part 4 (amedio's great grandparents)

Amedio Pompeo's third set of great grandparents, this time on his maternal side (Angelina Gagliardi), were Domenico Antonio Gagliardi and Chiarra de Novellis.  They were also both born, and died, in Torre de Passeri, Italy. 

Since the records only begin in 1866 online at familysearch.org, I had to look through the death indexes for Torre de Passeri to find Domenico and Chiarra's children.  I could only find three children in the marriage and death records, the oldest was Ruggiero (Amedio's grandfather), and then two daughters.  There are some gaps between births, about 8 years between Ruggiero and Metilde, and about 9 years between Metilde and Amerina, which probably means they had more children in between.  I would have to order the microfilm of the civil records from 1809 - 1910 from FamilySearch to find other children they may have had.   


Domenico Antonio Gagliardi and Chiarra de Novellis family chart

All three of Domenico and Chiarra's children that I did find married in Torre de Passeri, and none of them left Italy.  Their middle daughter, Amedio's Great Aunt Metilde, had at least three children which probably also remained in Italy as there are no records for them in the US.  Domenico and Chiarra's youngest daughter, Amedio's Great Aunt Amerina, may have had children, but there are no records of any in Torre de Passeri; however, she and her husband may have been living in another town, as Amerina died in Masseria, Italy.  Amerina died at the age of 32, only two years after her father Domenico died, and six years before her mother Chiarra died.  Domenico and Chiarra's oldest son was Amedio's grandfather Ruggiero.  I have written a bit about this family and Angelina's siblings here.  They had 8 children, four of which settled in Quincy, MA, Cristofaro, Angelina, Secondina and Geocinta, Amedio's aunts and uncles. 

Domenico and Chiarra lived long lives in Italy.  Domenico died at the age of 75 in 1896, about 7 years before his wife Chiarra died at the age of 80 in 1904. 

No comments: