My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

pompeo updates part 3 (amedio's great grandparents)

Last year I wrote a post on Amedio's great grandparents Domenico Pompeo and Concetta Caldarelli.  This post was mostly about the immigration of their children.  Amedio's grandfather, Croce, actually remained in Italy; but his siblings (Amedio's great aunts and uncles) were the first generation of Pompeo's from Torre de Passeri to arrive in the US.  I wanted now to write about Amedio's other set of great grandparents on his paternal line, Domenico Antonio Cappola and Donata Gaetana di Bartolomeo, taken mostly from the Pompeo Family History book I made on ancestry.com. 

Domenico and Donata had at least seven children, 5 girls and 2 boys.  Amedio's grandmother Elisabetta was their third daughter (Croce's wife).  Unlike Croce's siblings, none of Domenico and Donata's children left Italy; the death records for most of the children show they remained in Torre de Passeri, Italy (Rosario probably died after 1928, when the online records end for Torre de Passeri).   They all married, and probably left many distant cousins of Amedio in their hometown of Torre de Passeri.   The chart below shows the birth and death dates of Amedio's great grandparents and their children, who are Amedio's great aunts and uncles.  The children of these great aunts and uncles would be Amedio's father's (Antonio) cousins, or Amedio's first cousins once removed.  These cousins are listed in my family tree, but I did not include them in this post. 


Domenico Antonio Cappola and Donata Gaetana di Bartolomeo family chart 



Amedio's great grandfather, Domenico Cappola, died in 1881 at the age of 71, 18 years before his wife Donata died in 1899 at the age of 84.  Two of Domenico and Donata's children died before their mother did.  Elisabetta, Amedio's grandmother, died at the age of 48, 5 years before her mother Donata died.  Domenico and Donata's youngest son, Nunzio, died at the age of 35, in 1892, 7 years before his mother died.  Perhaps having their mother Donata alive well into their adulthood made it more difficult for the children to leave Italy, with the children not wanting to leave their elderly widowed mother alone.

No comments: