My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

aldina pereira francisco part 3 (parents and siblings)

Aldina Pereira's birth record from the church, Nossa Senhora da Estrella, in Matriz, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel, Azores, was the gateway record to finding more about her family on the island of Sao Miguel.  With help from the Azores Genealogy Group, I was able to transcribe the record enough to obtain her parents' and grandparents' names and the churches they were baptized in, as seen below in her pedigree chart.  Rick Pimentel also directed me to Aldina's parent's marriage record, which I will write about in my next post.

Below is a map (google maps) of the island of Sao Miguel, where the Pereira family is from.
     

pedigree for Aldina Pereira Franciso

I wanted to see if I could find some siblings of Aldina by browsing through the records for the church Nossa Senhora da Estrella.  I knew she had a brother Anibal, which I found quickly since I had a birth year of about 1886.  I browsed through many years looking for their parents' names in the baptismal records, until I came across an index to baptisms for this church through the Google Groups, Azores Genealogy.  The index looks to be from the University of the Azores, and breaks the years up into two books for baptisms, Baptismos Livro 1 (1860-1884) and Baptismos Livro 2 (1885-1910).  The index is organized alphabetically by child's first name, then alphabetical by parents' name.  I still had to browse through many pages, but it was much quicker and easier to look through this table than to sift through each baptismal page looking for parents' names.  Amazingly, I found 10 children for Antonio do Amaral Pereira and Maria da Paixao.  Their last child, Maria, was born in 1908, when Antonio was 59 years old and Maria was 41. 

family chart for Antonio do Amaral Pereira and Maria da Paixao

No comments: