My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Approach

I would like to find the time to do more genealogy research, so I have come up with a new approach that hopefully will let me do a little every day. I created a calendar of birthdays and anniversaries for all our ancestors using reports in Legacy software. Every day that there was an event, I will try to find a little bit of information on that person or couple, even if it is to only create a to do list of things I would like to find and places I would like to look when I actually get the chance to go to a library or court. So, today is the anniversary of Josiah Torrey and Jane Shaw, married 188 years ago in Weymouth, MA on Feb. 3, 1822. Since I no longer have a subscription to any genealogy databases, I looked at some free resources, such as google and pilot familysearch. On the latter database, I found the 1865 Massachusetts census for Josiah and his second wife Mary Bailey. They also had living with them Josiah's son Prescott Torrey and his wife Lizzie and son Otis. This record did not really add more information to my tree, other than the fact that his son was living with him in Weymouth, MA in 1865. The one piece of information that I have been wanting to prove for this couple is that Jane Shaw's parents are Capt. Nathaniel Shaw and Jane Tirrell, as stated in the History of Weymouth book. I am sure that this parentage is correct, but I would love to obtain Nathaniel Shaw's probate as referenced in this book, which is my next step in proving her parents.

To Do List:
1. obtain Nathaniel Shaw's probate record : Norfolk Probate 16474
2. obtain Jane (Tirell) Shaw's probate record: Norfolk Probate 16451
3. obtain Jane Shaw (daughter) gaurdianship probate record : 1813 Weymouth Guardianship 16450 - Norfolk Probate

No comments: