My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My First SS-5 application arrives

For a long time, I have been wanting to order Social Security Applications for my ancestors, but never actually did it; until a couple of months ago. I think I just did not want to wait impatiently for the mail every day until it came, so I never bothered to start the process. In early April, I ordered three applications from the SSA, from my husband's side of the family. Today I received one of them, Aldina Pereira Francisco. I have her maiden name of Pereira from the Rhode Island Marriages database on Ancestry.com. I also have her father's name of Antonio Pereira from her passenger record into Boston, MA with her brother Anibal.

I was hoping to find further evidence of her father and mother's name from the SS-5 application, as there is some confusion with last names on my husband's Portuguese side of the family. I have found numerous occasions of families switching between two different surnames. I need to look into surname traditions on the Azores for further clarification, but I believe sometimes the maternal surname was used.

I also have some research that was done from one of my husband's distant cousins who went to the Family History Library and looked up records from their parish of Our Lady of Estrela - Nossa Senhura do estrela - in Ribeira Grande on the island of St. Michael (San Miguel) Azores. According to her research, Aldina's father's name is Antonio Amaral Pereira and Aldina's mother's name is listed as Maria da Paixao Moreira Pereira. She also lists the children, including Aldina, with the last name of Amaral, not Pereira. Perhaps Antonio's mother's maiden name is Amaral?

According to the SS-5 application, Aldina's parents are Antonio Amaral Perry and Mary Moreira. Obviously these names are Americanized, but they do clarify that this family probably went by Pereira or Perry once they came to the United States, and not Amaral. Eventually when I begin looking in the parish records from the Azores I will have to look under both Amaral and Pereira.

Another interesting piece of information found on the SS-5 application is that Aldina was working at Westminster Jewelry store at 158 Pine Street in Providence, RI, which was filed November 24, 1936. She was about 52 years old.

To Do:
1. Find naming customs for Azores, Portugal
2. Search parish registers at FHL

No comments: