My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back to Ann; searching in the Scottish Death Index

A couple of posts back, I went into detail about Ann Hutchison, born around 1833 probably in Tealing, Forfarshire, Scotland. My 3rd great-grandmother. I could not find her death record in the Statutory Death Index on Scotlandspeople, but I knew she should be there. My next step was to not restrict my search parameters with a date. As I mentioned before, I suspected she died between 1895 and 1901, but after searching without dates, I found that she actually died in 1905! I am not sure why I was limiting the death years as I had enough specifics on Ann to limit my search in other ways so as not to get too many hits. I really thought however, that she died before 1901 as her husband is not living with her in 1901. This to me is very interesting, now that I know she was still living. Then I thought, maybe she was sick, and living in a hospital, not able to take care of herself. I searched for Ann in the 1901 census and found she was living "on her own means" with son James and daughter Susan. She seems to be living in the house she and her husband raised their family in. It was John Cox, her husband, that moved away. She was living at 40 Perth Street, district of St. Peter, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. John was living in Blythswood area of Glasgow, Scotland. According to google maps, these two places are about 82 miles apart. Not sure why they lived separately, but very interesting.

OK, back to the reason I was looking for Ann's death record in the first place, to find my 4th great grandparents. Yay, they are listed on her death record, and it does show they are Peter Hutchison and Christian Hill. Finding Ann's death record inspired me to do some more searches in the death index, which for some reason I had ignored before. Now I have gone back even further, which means I have even more to write about in future blog entries. My next step; however, will be to find some more interesting information on the locations and history of where my Scottish ancestors lived.

No comments: