My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

hingham house tour - david cushing house

I was very excited when I came across the 89th Hingham House Tour website from the Hingham Historical Society. Unfortunately; I missed it!  I hope they do the same houses next year, especially the David Cushing house and the Thomas Chubbuck, Jr. house.  In the descriptions on their webpage, my Chubbuck ancestors (Thomas, Jeremiah, Thomas, and Sally) are mentioned as having lived in these historic houses that are still standing.

I thought it would be fun to try and track down the deeds related to these houses and my ancestors.  I will tackle the David Cushing House in this post.  I used the familysearch.org database of Massachusetts, Land Records.

The David Cushing House - 1719

Courtesy of Hingham Historical Society

From The Hingham Historical Society's website describing The David Cushing House:
"David died only four years after he built the house and it was subsequently owned by his brother Seth Cushing, before being sold to Thomas Chubbuck in 1742.  The Chubbuck family cared for the house until the early 20th century.  Three Chubbuck men are listed in the History of Hingham as residing at this Main Street property before it passed to Chubbuck daughters. First was Thomas (1674 -1753), then his son Jeremiah (born about 1700), and Jeremiah’s son, Thomas (1732/33, - 1802). It was this Thomas that sold half of the barn and house to his daughter Sarah’s husband, Captain Nathaniel French, and the other half of the house to his daughter Mary’s husband, Daniel Dill.  When Thomas’ son, Thomas, Jr. returned from serving in the Revolutionary War, he built a new home next door at 1191 Main (formerly numbered as 1193 Main), which is also on the tour this year."

Thomas Chubbuck (1674-1753)
The first Thomas Chubbuck mentioned was born in 1674 in Hingham.  He is my eighth great grandfather. The Suffolk County deed 73(164), shows that Thomas Chubbuck, of Hingham, yeoman, paid Seth Cushing twelve hundred pounds for...
"all that my [Seth Cushing] late dwelling house and barn with one acre of land convenient to the same also one moiety or half part of the land adjoining according to the quality as well as quantity thereof lying and being in the township of Hingham aforesaid at a place called great plain the whole of said plans contains by estimation one hundred acres...is butted and bounded easterly with the country road southwardly with the patten line westerly with the undivided lands northward with the land of Enoch Whiton and the heirs of Peter Ripley deceased..."
dated march 1742/1743 
Jeremiah Chubbuck
The above transaction was only 10 or so years before Thomas dies in 1753.  The Hingham Historical Society states that Thomas' son Jeremiah, my seventh great grandfather, also lived in this house.  The only transaction I found that mentions Thomas' land and a house being sold is in Suffolk County deed 90(22).  This deed states Thomas Chubbuck owes a debt to Samuel Clapp of Scituate; therefore, his estate gives to Samuel 1/4 of Thomas' dwelling house, barn, and 1/4 of the acre of land.  (see note 1)  This deed also states that Thomas' son Jeremiah is in charge of the estate.  I am not sure if this is the same land mentioned in the first deed of this post, but I do not see any other deed where Thomas sells his dwelling house to his son Jeremiah.  This deed does show that Thomas has a will, which I will have to find. (see note 2)   Maybe in his will, Thomas gives his dwelling house and land from the first deed to his son Jeremiah.  The History of Hingham book does state that Thomas gives to his grandson Thomas the northeast half of his land at Accord Pond.  Again, I am not sure this is the land where the original David Cushing house now stands.  Thomas does seem to have a lot of land in Hingham, according  to the Suffolk Deeds, so it is hard to tell which land is which.   

 


Thomas Chubbuck (1732-1802)
Another deed may show the David Cushing house being handed down to Thomas Chubbuck, my sixth great grandfather and Jeremiah's son.  Suffolk Deed 100(200), records Thomas' purchase of land from his father Jeremiah.  Thomas Chubbuck, yeoman of Hingham, pays thirty four pounds to Jeremiah Chubbuck, of Hingham, gentleman,...
"all that my [Jeremiah Chubbuck] piece or parcel of land lying and being in the township of Hingham aforesaid is part of my homestead it is butted and bounded north with the land of Samuel Whiten, and west with the land of Peter Ripley, and this line is twenty four rods and sixteen links to a stake and heap of stones and then it runs with the said Jeremiah Chubbuck's land southeast eighty nine degrees...and then with the said Jeremiah's land northeast forty six degrees...and then easterly with the orchard that being one acre and no more, the whole contains fourteen acres..."
dated Sept 1761
Thomas was about 30 years old when he purchased this property, and seems to have spent the rest of his life here.  As the Hingham Historical society notes in their information about the Hingham House Tour, Thomas does eventually sell his house and land to two son-in-laws, Daniel Dill and Nathaniel French.  As the following deeds show; though, Thomas remains in his house probably until his death in 1802, living with his son-in-law and daughter Nathaniel and Sally French, my fifth great grandparents.

Daniel Dill and Nathaniel French
Suffolk deed 167(55), records the transaction of half of Thomas Chubbuck's house to Daniel Dill, the husband of his daughter Mary.  Daniel Dill pays fifty pounds to Thomas for,
"one half of one acre of land in the south parish of Hingham, together with one half of the dwelling house and barn standing thereon, bounded easterly on the road leading from Boston to Plymouth partly and partly on land purchased of the town to begin at the southeast corner of Enoch Whiton land and to run southerly by my said land and the said road til it comes four rods southerly of said barn northerly on land of mortgaged to Francis Barks westerly on my own land and southerly on my own land to run as far westerly to make one acre, also I sell to him three acres of land in Hingham..."
dated 1789
Eleven years later, in 1800, Thomas' other son-in-law, Nathaniel French, my 5th great grandfather, also purchases half of this house from Thomas Chubbuck.  This deed shows that Thomas probably remained in the house and was cared for by Nathaniel.  This transaction is recorded in Suffolk deed 195(149):
"...that I, Thomas Chubbuck of Hingham...yeoman...in consideration of three hundred dollars already paid me by Nathaniel French of Hingham aforesaid mariner in boarding me and for the further consideration that he provide me suitable and comfortable maintenance and support during my natural life and pay all my just debts the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge have given, granted, bargained...one undivided half of one acre of my homestead in Hingham aforesaid with one half of the dwelling house and one half of the barn thereon standing the whole lying in common with the other moiety which I sold to Daniel Dill, the said acre of land is bounded as follows viz easterly of land I bought of the town partly and partly on the post road from Boston to Plymouth beginning at the southeasterly corner of Enoch Whiton's land and running with my said land and said road until it goes four rods southerly of said barn southerly on my own land and westerly on Daniel Dill's land partly and partly on Nathaniel French's land and northerly on Enoch Whiton's land - also included in the same consideration one other piece of land containing one quarter of an acre more or less in front of the aforesaid homestead, which last mentioned land I bought of said town of Hingham for the description of which reference being had to the records of said town - also included in the same consideration one other piece of land in Hingham aforesaid containing four acres more or less, bounded easterly on the aforesaid post road partly and partly on Daniel Dill's land southerly on said Nathaniel French's land westerly on Accord pond river and northerly partly on said Nathaniel French's land and partly on said homestead...
dated Aug 1800


notes:
  1. I looked through the Suffolk County grantor deed index to see if Samuel Clapp sold this part of the land and house back to the Chubbuck family.  I did not find any deeds for Samuel Clapp selling land in Hingham.  
  2. Thomas Chubbuck's (d. 1753) will would be in Suffolk County.  Only v.2-3 indexes for Suffolk County probate are online; which does not include Chubbuck, need vol. 1. 



No comments: