My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

memorial day

We just celebrated Memorial Day, which made me wish that I had spent some time at the cemeteries. I am not sure why I did not go out, I think that my kids would not have appreciated spending one of the first nice weekends walking through cemeteries searching for ancestors.

It did get me thinking of which cemetery I most wanted to visit. About once a week I drive past the Hanover Center Cemetery. I always glance at the stones as I drive by looking for familiar names. One of my third great grandmothers, Maria (Harding) Stoddard is buried in Hanover according to her death record. Maria died in Norwell on August 11, 1908. I have yet to take the time to try to find her though. I thought rather than going to a cemetery this Memorial Day, I would focus on finding where exactly Maria is buried.

I called the Cemetery department for Hanover, which is in the Public Works department. I spoke with a very nice person who looked in her records for Maria, but was unable to find her. She looked under both Harding and Stoddard. She also searched for Maria's husband, David Stoddard, but no luck. She said there were about two pages of Stoddards though; unfortuantely, not from my family.

I then emailed the Quincy Public library to ask for a look up of Maria's obituary for me. I have had so much luck emailing and getting Patriot Ledger newspaper articles and obituaries from the librarians in Quincy. Again, no luck this time. The librarian stated that most of the obituaries during this time were from Braintree, Quincy, and Weymouth.

I searched a little bit to see if there were other newspapers in Norwell or Hanover during the early 1900's, but I did not come up with any. I think my next step would be to visit the local libraries, Norwell and Hanover, to see if they have any advice. I also came across a South Shore Genealogical Society website, which would be interesting to see what kind of information they have. I emailed them for information on membership, but their website does not look to have been updated since 2009.

I am more determined now to find where Maria is buried and finally visit her.

UPDATE: (sept 2013)
I found Maria!  I went to the Union Cemetery, Assinippi, in Hanover, MA to try to find some Stoddards that were referenced in a deed to have bought land in this cemetery.  According to Plymouth deed 76(261), Hezekiah Stoddard, my 5th great grandfather, (Maria's husband David Stoddard's grandfather), would be buried here.  I went looking for him, and came across the stone for David T Stoddard and Maria Harden Stoddard, buried with three of their children, David, Henry and Joseph.  I was not expecting to find them here, but I am so happy I did!  (I never did find Hezekiah, but I think that his stone has either faded or is missing)

From memorial day maria harden stoddard

No comments: