My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sweden

I received the book, Your Swedish Roots, for Christmas, and have been reading through it pretty quickly. In the past, I have spent some time on Genline and looking through many Swedish Parish records for Jeff's family history, so I already knew the basics of Swedish genealogy. I was hoping this book would help me find other information, such as location of specific farms listed in the household examination records. Also, since the Swedish records in Genline and SVAR are obviously in Swedish, I was hoping to gain some insight to information other than dates and names that are in these records that I was not able to read.

I have already learned quite a bit from this book, including finding location of farms from maps on The archives of the National Surveying Office's website, lantmateriet. I looked at the historical maps on the website, where you can search and purchase maps for parishes in Sweden. I was able to locate the boundaries of the farm of Haggard in Humla where Carl (Charles) Carlson, Jeff's great grandfather, was raised. It would be great to buy this map; however, my computer seems to crash every time I try to get to the purchase page. The digital version online allowed me to locate on google maps the location and the more current satelite view of this area. My next step is to see if there are other families living on this farm and to see if the household examination record in the parish book lists the occupation of Carl's father, Alfrid Carlson, on this farm. Now that I have some key Swedish terms from the book, I will be able to get more information out of the parish records.

Google map of the farm location Haggarden, Humla, Sweden
(green arrow is location of Haggarden farm)

View Blidsberg in a larger map

No comments: