My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

augusta ophelia tessier labrecque

French Canadian records are very prevalent and detailed, and best of all, available online at ancestry.com. This is great since I have an entire family line from Quebec. Augusta Ophelia Tessier was my immigrant ancestor from Quebec, along with her husband, Achilles Narcisse Labrecque. They are my great-great grandparents.

Augusta Ophelia was actually baptised Marie Fillion Augustine Tessier. In the book, French Canadian Sources, there is a chapter which discusses naming traditions in French Canada. The book explains that many parents baptised their daughters as Marie, which was later dropped by the child. There is also information on how priests wrote the names as they sounded and thought they should be spelled, so names may have changed in records depending on the priest. So Fillion probably became Ophelia and Augustin became Augusta. Maybe she liked Augusta better than Ophelia, and so went by her "middle" name when she was living in the United States. I do know I have the correct person as I follow Augusta through the records though, because the marriage record to Achilles lists her parents, and the year of birth matches throughout her records to the baptism of Marie Fillion Augustine Tessier.

Augusta was baptized at Notre-Dame de Quebec in the city of Quebec, Canada on April 17, 1859; the day after her birth. (This church was elevated to the level of basilica in 1874.) The physical church that Augusta was baptised in burned in 1922, a new one was built in its place. Some good websites on the history of the church are wikipedia's article on Notre-Dame de Québec Cathedral, The Corporation of heritage and religious tourism of Québec, and The Official Website of the Basilica Cathedral Notre Dame De Quebec.

Augusta's parents are Augustine Honore Tessier and Marie Cecile Labbe, both also baptised in Quebec city. Most likely, Augusta Ophelia spent her childhood in Quebec city. (note 1) Augusta was the 4th of at least 9 children that I found in the Notre Dame de Quebec records born to Honore and Marie Tessier. Her father was a "gardien", or guard, and is listed as blind on the 1881 census.

At the age of 22, on May 9, 1881, Augusta married my great-great grandfather, Achilles Narcisse Labrecque at the Notre Dame De Quebec. I found their record of marriage in the parish record, but there also would have been a notary record created. I am not sure how to find which notary recorded their act of marriage, but as these records are cataloged by notary name I will not be able to find it unless I have a name. Otherwise I would have to browse through all the notaries in Quebec in 1881, which would be very time consuming. (found Notary - see: to do no. 3 at end)


signature of Augusta Tessier from parish marriage record


Two years later, in June of 1883, Augusta and Achilles had their first child, Corrine. They continued to have a total of at least 8 children; although the 1900 US census record states Augusta had 10 children, of which only 6 were alive in 1900. There does seem to be a large gap between their son George in 1888 and their next child Eugene in 1893, perhaps there were children born between them. (note 2)

Augusta was 28 years old when she came to Massachusetts with her husband and 3 children (at that time) in 1887. At this time at least three of her brothers had also immigrated to Boston, MA. Her younger sister Marie Louise would come to Boston three years later and her other brother George is also in Boston, not sure of the year. So at least 5 of her siblings are living close to her in Massachusetts. I did not find a record of her oldest sister, Marie Emilie, in Boston. I am guessing Marie Emilie probably stayed in Canada as she has a large family of at least 8 children by the 1911 Canadian Census. I also lost track of a younger sister, Marie Odile; the last record I found of her is her marriage in Quebec in 1886. Augusta's mother Marie is last seen in Quebec city in the 1881 Canadian Census; but Augusta's father Honore does have a death record in Boston in 1891. I am guessing that Honore came to Boston after his wife Marie died, maybe in Quebec (although I did not find her death record at Notre Dame de Quebec).


Residence of Augusta Ophelia (Tessier) Labrecque and siblings
as recorded in the 1900 US Federal Census

View Augusta Tessier Labrecque family 1900 in a larger map


Tragedy struck Augusta's family when her son Alfred, a Quincy councilman and my great grandfather, committed suicide in 1931. A couple of years ago I went to the Quincy Public Library to find information on the Labrecques. I was able to search through the name index the library has of the local Quincy newspaper, The Patriot Ledger. After visiting the library, I noted in my records that there was an article on Augusta Labrecque in the September 11, 1931 edition of the newspaper. I must have run out of time when visiting the library, as I never copied the article. So the other day I emailed the wonderful librarians at the Quincy Public Library and they sent me the article through email. (Thank you!!!) The article states that Augusta was so struck with grief from her son's death that she went into shock and then a coma. Augusta Ophelia Tessier Labrecque died only 12 days after her son died, on September 10, 1931. She was 72 years old. (Patriot Ledger, Sept 11, 1931 page 1, page 12)

I learned some other facts about Augusta from this Patriot Ledger article. The paper states that Augusta was at her Quincy home, but also entions a winter residence in Watertown, MA. Maybe they had both residences in Quincy and Watertown, which would explain why they seem to go back and forth from the two places in the town directories. The article also mentions Augusta's children; one of which, Eugene, is living in Canada. They also mention that she survives eight grandchildren.

I am not sure who provided the information for the article, but it was not exactly accurate with dates. The journalist wrote that Augusta and her husband were born on the same day, May 9, and were married on their 20th birthdays. Although this sounds romantic, it is not actually true according to their baptismal and marriage records. Augusta was born on April 16, 1859 and Achilles was born on May 7, 1859. They were married on May 9, 1881, when they were 22 years old. I am guessing they celebrated their birthdays and anniversary together, which resulted in the confusion of dates for the article.

Augusta was buried at Mt. Wollaston Cemetery, the same cemetery as her son, Alfred. Her husband Achilles and two of her daughters (never married) were also later buried at the cemetery, sharing a headstone. I am not sure where her two children that died in childhood are buried, Bertha and George. They died while they were living in Boston, perhaps they are buried with other family that also died around this time in Boston. Augusta's father Honore and brother George both died in Boston (1891 and 1898) and are probably buried in Boston; but the location is not stated on their records from newenglandancestors.org. Augusta's other brother, Arthur, is buried at Forest Hills Cemetery in Boston; maybe they are all together there.

Headstone of Augusta Tessier Labrecque and husband and two of her daughters

notes:
1. I found her family in the 1881 Canadian census in the subdistrict of Palais Ward of district no. 79, Quebec Center, Quebec City. I am not sure yet how to figure out where on a map this district is located.
2. I did not find any other birth records for children of Augusta in MA, as she was living in MA after 1888.

to do:
1. find cemetery of Augusta's children - Bertha and George - and her father Honore - all died in Boston.
2. find mother's death date and location - did she ever come to Boston?
3. find notary record of marriage for Augusta and Achilles. I wrote a bit about finding notary records in another blog post. UPDATE : notary Joseph-Alphonse-Elzéar Chaperon- at Libray and Archives Canada microfilm CN301, S299.

No comments: