My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

cowing house

While I was researching for the last post, I came across a picture of a house on the Historical Section of the Town of Weymouth website.



This is the house that Francis Cowing is living in around 1876, as shown in the Weymouth Map I discussed in my last post on Samuel Pratt. The house was near the location of Samuel and Alithea Pratt. Also, according to the History of Weymouth book (vol. 2, p 918), my 6th great-grandparents, Joshua Bates and Tirzah Pratt, lived in this house in the late 1700's or early 1800's, before Francis Cowing.
The caption above the Cowing house picture states that the family donated the farm behind the house to the town to build the Weymouth North High School (currently the Middle School). I searched the deeds on the Norfolk County website and found a Weymouth deed in Sept 1926, (1714-125, 126, 127) stating that the Town of Weymouth voted to "take", from Francis W. Cowing (Francis H. Cowing's son), a certain area of land between Hillside and Middle Street for the purpose of a playground, raising $100 for this owner, Francis W. Cowing. Another deed in Weymouth (1763-331,332) for 1927 states that Francis W. Cowing sold, to the Town of Weymouth, land "between Hillside Avenue and Legion Memorial Field" for $400.00. Hillside Avenue does not seem to be a street in Weymouth anymore, but Legion field is located behind the current Middle School (old High School), on Middle Street. This may be land in addition to what was already given or sold to the Town of Weymouth for the old High School on Commercial Street. I searched a little more to see if I could find the original deed that involved the Cowing family and the land for the old High School on Commercial Street. I found the following Weymouth deed (1677-361,362) for December 1925 which states Francis W. Cowing gave to the Town of Weymouth 13 acres on Commercial Street, originally his father's, Francis H. Cowing, land. The original deed for Francis H. Cowing is referenced to have happened in 1877, Norfolk deed book 490, page 80. This is probably the land that is referred to in the caption above the picture, behind the Cowing House, which is now the Middle School and was once the High School.
There are many more deeds online for Francis W. Cowing, but the ones discussed above were the ones that pertained to the Town of Weymouth. I find it interesting that the Town of Weymouth bought this land for what seems to be small amounts of money, for even this time period. It does see that Francis W. Cowing started the process by first giving a large amount of land, 13 acres, to the town. Then the town used Eminent Domain to take some land for only $100.00 to create a playground, perhaps Legion Field or an area near Legion Field. Then Francis W. Cowing decided to sell some more land to the Town of Weymouth for $400.00 in the same area. It is not clear why the Cowing Family decided to donate land to the Town, but it is nice to think that the school I once went to was once land belonging to my ancestors.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house looks totally different now! My dad grew up in that house and now my uncle owns it. I am a Cowing and it has been in the family for years. I think since it was built. They have modified it but have kept the huge fire place that was used for everything in the kitchen. great research on Bates. That is how I stumbled on your site since I was curious about who he was.

Anonymous said...

we didnt donate the land to the town...the family told me it was payment for not paying taxes which used to run in the family...the cowings and bates used to own 90% of weymouth so leigon field was owned by the family. cattle was the main job and leigon field was the river area they would get the water from (the cattle)

francis said...

Thank you so much for your information - I am glad you came across my blog. I did not even know the house was still standing.

Stan said...

The Cowing Family also occupied a house near Weymouth Landing that was referred to as "The Frances Cowing House". It was designed by Charles Bulfinch and during the time the Cowings lived there, the first meetings of Freemasons in Weymouth were held in the upper floors of the house. This was about 1827. The Sacred Heart High School now occupies the site.

francis said...

Thanks Stan - very interesing. I appreciate the history.

Shawn M Cowing said...

I'm a Cowing from Buffalo, NY via Lakewood, NY. Hi!! Lol

Shawn M Cowing said...

Check out the Cowing House, later named Lakeview House. My great great grandfather built it.