My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Ballumbie, Murroes, Scotland

I did a quick search to see if I could find more information on Ballumbie, and found from The Gazetteer of Scotland website that the castle was ruined in 1682 and later incorporated into the stable block of Ballumbie House. Another description of Ballumbie Castle is at Historic Scotland website. More information on Ballumbie House, which pertains to the time period Thomas' father David would have been there, from the Historic Scotland website , is as follows: "Ballumbie House was built for David Miller in 1810 and sold to the McGavin family in 1847. The house was extended and embellished for the merchant Alexander Gilroy." Also, from Ancestry's Gazetteer of Scotland, written in 1847, the following statement is found on page 414, vol. 2, "the remains of the castle of Ballumbie, anciently a fortified residence, now the property of Lord Panmure."

There is also a good description from a book on Google, Epitaphs & inscriptions from burial grounds & old buildings in the north-east of Scotland..., which tells more of the history of Ballumbie's owners in the 1800s, starting with David Miller in 1810. It seems that at this time, Ballumbie is more of a description of an area, rather than a description of where David Hutchison may have worked.

All this Ballumbie information prompted me to find more information on Thomas' father, David, so I looked for his marriage record on Scotlandspeople.org. I was able to find David and Ann Anderson's marriage, but it is not listed in the parish of Murroes, but Strathmartine. The record also states that David is from the parish of Strathmartine, while Ann is from the parish of Dundee. So perhaps David was not living in the Ballumbie area of Murroes for long, as he seemed to be from Strathmartine before his son Thomas and possible daughter Janet were born.

No comments: